Wednesday, October 17, 2012

...I'm not interested


in the relationship of color or form or anything else. I'm interested only in expressing basic human emotions: tragedy, ecstasy, doom, and so on.

-Mark Rothko


I'm sick of doing things in order. Just the thought explaining one more damn piece no longer in my current conscious is draining enough that I want a nap. So I'm not gonna. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This piece was, without out a doubt, the most emotionally challenging piece I have ever done. It is my boyfriend, Adam, as an infant, and his father, Ray.


I struggled with the lines, with the colour, with myself. I redrew, I repainted, I cried my heart out. Six attempts were made before this final version emerged.

Adam's dad passed away when he was 12. From everything I have heard, from the man that Adam is today; his goodness, grace, intelligence, creativity... Ray was an amazing man, and an even more amazing father. 

The moral, decent, solid person Ray was, contrasted so vividly with the ...lackluster version of men and fathers so prevalent today. The tragedy of it becomes so much more. 

Neither my words, nor my pencil, could ever do this relationship justice, but I will be forever grateful that it was. 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The emotional charge is visible. perhaps an odd thing to focus on, but the "ribbon" surrounding the infant and father is evocative of memory's suppleness, twisting like smoke through the air. It also looks like the wall time has built between childhood and adulthood, alive people and dead ones. And like that wall it can be passed over or under.

Unknown said...

Well said, anonymouse, thanks for the post

Post a Comment

 

Here, inside my Heart Copyright © 2010 | Designed by: Compartidisimo